Just Keep Swimming


Why is it so easy to spend half an hour stalking an ant but so hard to study for even ten minutes? Why is it so easy to write songs about ants - I have issues, let's establish that - but so hard to finish an assignment? I'm not going to talk about why that happens, frankly I'd much rather write about the ant.

This last week, I've needed motivation to get down to studying. I've needed someone to slap me silly and force me to study but alas, I didnt find the motivation I needed from humans. I found my motivation from an ant.

I found an ant on my bed sheet, I don't know why but I dropped everything and diverted my attention to that one ant, making its way across my bed. Then something compelled me to play with it and I ended up putting obstacles in front of the ant - IT WAS NOT ANT ABUSE, OKAY? - but no matter what, the ant didn't give up, it kept going.

An ant is a fragile, fragile creature yet, its the most hard working little thing you will ever come across. It had no idea where it was going, it couldn't see the bigger picture but yet, it kept on moving. Imagine why it did that. It was just taking one step at a time without any promises of a better future, it just kept on going. It didn't give up.

I have seen ants in action before, I've watched ants try to move dead cockroach bodies around, trying to fit them into small holes. Even better, I've watched them succeed. It makes you wonder, if an ant who isn't even bigger than the nail on your pinky can keep working harder and harder, how can you give up?

Here I was, freaking out, imagining scenarios all because I had given up on being able to study. If an ant doesn't give up then who am I to give up?

If you ever watch an ant, you'll realized that no matter how hard the task, it keeps going, trying new methods, beating the odds and accomplishing its task.

If an ant doesn't give up then you shouldn't either.

As Dory said "Just keep swimming"

I've found my motivation to get up and try studying. Have you?

Comments

Popular Posts