Fight or flight

There is a myth that when ostriches get scared, they dig a hole in the ground and hide their heads in it. The validity of this myth aside, isn't it a tempting idea to seek refuge when frightened?

I think so. I think sometimes we have to hide and wait for the storm to pass before we can make our next move. So when I found out about the ostriches, I decided I wanted to be an ostrich but then due to the overactive imagination I have been blessed with, I decided I didn't want to hide, I want to dig a hole and run away to China. In fact, I even managed to draw up my course on a map.

There is a theory in psychology about the ways with which we cope with stress - Fight or Flight. I'd have to say hiding and planning to run away is a clear example of flight. Sometimes, the decisions we have to make and the situations we have to face terrify so even if we have never considered to do so, we decide to back down from the battle and run away. The truth is, as tempting as flying away may be, its not as satisfying as staying and battling your demons.

If you love something, you have to fight for it. The way to achieve your dreams is by battling against all odds.

I want to dig a hole and crawl my way to China because frankly, I'm terrified but as appealing as it may be, I have to stay and fight and so do you.

If its worth it, fight for it.
If it doesn't make you happy then leave but never run.

Comments

Popular Posts