Beating the weakest link

The other day I was driving with my father complaining about a blemish on my face. He pulled the car over and proceeded to tell me a story which made all the difference and I can only hope it can help one of you.

My father told me about a man who was not considered handsome or even a pleasant sight to see. All the men in his village would mock him and look at him with disgust because of his physical appearances. At first, the man let this affect him and accepted himself as the "Ugly Man" of his village but one day he had had enough. He decided he wanted to be something other than just the Ugly Man, he wanted to be recognized for his talents rather than his appearance. The man was a really creative person and had an eye for fashion. He began designing his own clothes, wearing works of art and redefined fashion in his village. Soon enough, the people of his village didnt see him as the "Ugly Man" anymore, they saw him as this beautifully dressed person who everyone wanted to know, people wanted him to design their clothes, people wanted to befriend him, people were inspired by him, people were impressed by him and most of all, his physical appearances seized to matter.

You see, in the end it is not who you are but what you do that defines you. We are all born with imperfections, we are all part of this great, big world where the meaning of beauty can not be suppressed within mere words. We have blemishes, we have flaws and when we look in the mirror, some of us will never be happy with what we see. The flaws are natural, everyone has them but your flaws do not have the power to define you. Your physical appearances can not be allowed to define who you are as a person because so many of us are so much more than what is on the surface.

I have blemishes, I have flaws but if a person who read my writing, was impressed by my work saw me then they would not care about the way I look, they would care about all that I have done. My physical appearances have no impact on my writing and when people come to me for help, they do not care about what I look like, they care about what I can offer them. We want to look beautiful, we want people to be impressed by our beauty but do you not see that the beauty on the surface fades away and the one within ourselves is what lasts?

I know I may not be making much sense but if you ever look in the mirror and do not feel happy about your reflection then for a moment forget about your physical features and focus on all that you have done. If you have not done anything then do not let your insecurities control you, do something. If you think people see you for your flaw then do something great that will make your flaw seem like an insignificant speck of dust.

This isnt just about physical appearances though. It could be anything. If you think you lack in one aspect of life then do not let that control you. Do not let your flaws win. Do something great, amazing, BEAUTIFUL that will make much more of an impact. Once you do something that represents you, people will not care about your flaws.

In the end, we are only as strong as our weakest link and we cant not let our flaws have such power.

Comments

Popular Posts