Rejection

There was a time when I was profoundly possessive of my writing. The mere thought of someone intruding upon my personal thoughts was unimaginable. During that time, I did not think my writing was good or bad but rather it was simply just words I had strung together. Then one day, I was sitting alone aggressively scribbling onto the pages of my worn out notebook when a friend of mine came, snatched my notebook and invaded my world. It was the very first time anyone read any piece of my writing. I will never forget that moment because after she had finished reading, she smiled and told me to never stop writing. That day my friend told me that she just knew my writing was going to matter to people out there.

It takes a lot for me to share my words because behind every poem or even behind every advice I give, there is a hidden story that leads to my soul. As strange as the comparison may be, I sometimes feel like Voldemort when I write because in my writing, there is always a little horcrux hidden, a little part of me.

Now, you must be wondering why I'm writing all this. Well, I have a story to share.

A few days ago, I applied for a writing position. I do not normally apply for such positions because I hate it when writing becomes a job. When I'm scribbling in my notebooks, I can portray pain like Edgar Allen Poe, I can create mystery like Agatha Christie and I can introduce scenes where romance dances through the lines of each page like Nicholas Sparks but whenever I had to write a story for English class, it would always be a half hearted attempt. I would never opt for writing as a career because for me, writing can't be forced. Though, I applied for the position, gave it a shot and I was rejected.

For years, all I have had is my writing. I've written thousands of poems, stories and even attempted to write two novels. My life revolves around literature, I've read more classic novels than I can ever count. Perhaps that's why it broke me when I was not chosen for the position.

When I wasn't chosen, I was pretty down. I had shut the world out and I lost faith in myself and worse, I'd lost faith in the one thing I thought I'd never doubt; My writing. I felt like I was good enough and there was no point in continuing to write.

When I was low, I opened my page to delete it because I thought I wasn't good enough to continue to be the Girl With Issues. Then I remembered these messages I had received from you guys, my "readers". I remember a particular message in which someone told me they would stay up late with their eyes glued to their screen because of my page, because they fell in love with my writing style.

Now, you're probably wondering what the point of me saying all this is. Well, on a daily basis I am told that my writing is good but on the other hand, I faced rejection for various writing positions. It made me like a horrible writer but I would never dare say that I am horrible.

I can give examples of famous writers who faced such rejection but I chose to tell you my story because you might not be able to relate to them but you may be able to relate to me.

The best of us can get rejected but let me tell you a secret; Sometimes a thousand people will reject your art but if even one person tells you that your art matters then that will make all the difference. If you ever need someone to give you their opinion on your writing, I am here. I don't sugar coat my reviews because I know how crucial it is to receive honest opinions.

The bottom lines is, rejection can never define you. If there is one person who rejects your art, there will be a thousand others who will marvel at it.

If you've ever felt like you weren't good enough, think again.

Comments

  1. *_* you are awesome, i feel so down reading your blog especially this one your writing style is so amazing iam such a bad writer u dont deserve rejection u deserve appreciation (y)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those words mean a lot, thank you. Honestly, I dont know what I deserve because there are always going to be someone who is better. I think I needed to face rejection to work harder and try harder. I dont think there are bad writers, I think writers grow. Today, you may not think youre a good writer but one day, when youve worked on your writing, you can be a great writer. You just have to keep trying.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts