All the possibilities - New Years Eve 2013

On New Years Eve in 2011, I made lists and concocted expectations about how I wanted 2012 to play out. The list mainly comprised of how I never wanted to say goodbye to certain people. In 2011, my New Years Resolution was to "Make forever last."

Then on New Years Eve in 2012, I had an entirely different Resolution. This time, it was to forget the friends I never wanted to part with. In the matter of mere months, I went from wanting forever to believing that it didn't exist.

In 2011, I thought things could last forever.
In 2012, I believed that sooner or later, everyone was going to leave me.

In 2013, I'm sitting here on New Years Eve and guess what the Question of the day on Ask.FM is.

"What things are you looking forward to in the New Year?"

This time, I had not considered or even desired making resolutions or pondering over any expectations until I saw that question. And now, I can not stop thinking about it.

Though, I am not the only one out there who is wondering what possibilities this New Year holds, right?

The New Year may seem to be the ticking of the clock from one second to another but is it really just that?

I like to do very absurd things to test out the theories I write. So here's what I did tonight:
1. Took off the sock on my left foot.
2. Walked around on the roof at midnight.
3. Ran back inside after half an hour and hugged the heater.

Crazy thing to do? Definitely.

Did I work out my theory? HELL YEAH!

On one foot, I was covered, secure and safe. On the other foot, I was exposed and I couldn't take being out there for long.

From one step of one foot to another during the 'Ticking of the clock' in the matter of one second to another, I took two different steps. There was my right foot which was okay with touching the cold tiles on the roof and then there was my left foot which was numb and desperately ached to be covered.

The movement of one foot after the other occurred the same way the seconds shift from one year to another.

My left foot was the exposed year of 2013 of which we know everything and it holds so little possibilities. It has shed its mysteries and there's no expectations left from it.

My right foot was the New Year of 2014 which is covered and we do not know what possibilities this New Year may hold. Which is what makes it so safe, anything is possible.

This year on New Years Eve 2013, I do not have any resolutions nor expectations. I see no point in planning and expecting things when the complete opposite can happen. I see no point in trying to make a plan and being so determined to follow it that I forget to live in the moment and loose myself trying to accomplish something that may not be as important.

This year, I hold no expectations. I will not make resolutions which might blind me from exploring new possibilities.

No, no. This year, I hold possibilities.

The possibility of walking to the College Cafe on foggy January mornings and loosing myself in a hot cup of coffee.

The possibility of crisp February walks at midnight filled with laughter.

The possibility of beating final examinations in March and getting dressed up for a farewell party which will mark the end of yet another chapter of our lives.

The possibility of seeing beautiful April mornings and the being able to grow another year older.

The possibility of giving CIE's for the last time and walking out the examination halls with a huge smile in May and June.

The possibility of July parties and lazy summer days.

The possibility of an amazing result in August and maybe adopting another baby chicken.

And then whole new possibilities in a whole new world with whole new people when a whole new journey starts in September.

There is no guarantee that life will work out. There are just possibilities and no resolutions can manipulate the situations.

This year, its about living in the present and admiring all the possibilities.

Happy New Years Eve.

- The Girl With Issues

Comments

Popular Posts