Be a soldier, darling.

When I was growing up, I had a video tape of Cinderella and in all honesty, I was obsessed. I would watch that movie twenty times a day and never get tired of the ever lasting loop. So you can see I had this perception that no matter how bad things were, a man would come and whisk me away. Fairy tales are very impressionable on little girls and I suppose I spent a great deal of time thinking I would meet Prince Charming, he would fall in love with me at first sight and take me away on a white horse to live out our happily ever after. If I wanted anything, it was to be like Cinderella.

Then one day, I looked in the mirror and I didn't see myself as a princess. I realized I didn't want the answer to my prayers to be a man. No, I wanted to be a soldier.

Growing up in some households or cultures, little girls are made to believe there are certain things they can and can not do until they take their matrimonial vows with a man who would somehow give her the freedom she wants. Haven't you ever heard "Jo karna hai, shahdi kay baad karna" [Translation: Whatever you want to do, do it after you're married]

I know its tempting to turn to a man and want him to be your Prince Charming but believe me, you must be a soldier, darling; Not a damsel in distress. If you want freedom, fight for it rather than jumping in to a relationship thinking a guy can set you free.

It is tempting to be in the embrace of the ever so infamous Prince Charming but more often than not, this supposed Prince turns out to be the very villain who might take away what little shred of freedom or strength you once had.

Be a soldier, darling. Fight for what you want, you need not a warrior to save you from the dragons lair. No, you are the very being who can slay the dragon and ride off on YOUR white horse.

You will find love one day but if you go searching for it in hopes that a man can give you the strength, the shelter and the protection you want then you might just end up disappointed.

Be a soldier, darling.

Comments

  1. you can be a nurse or doctor or a wife of soldier ....being soldier is no good ...
    Nice post
    Keep posting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon your blog today and really connect with it! Your words are beautiful. U may like my blog: inbetweentheraindrop.blogapot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts