The Highway

If I have learned anything through this blog then it is that somewhere, somehow there is someone out there who can find someway to connect to the beat of my heart. So my dear stranger, this one is for you.

Imagine a busy highway at midnight.
Imagine standing in the middle of that road while cars race towards you.
Imagine what it might feel like to think that at any moment you might face collision.

Sometimes, it is the uncertainty that may pose the greatest of threats to us. For you see, the middle of a highway is no place to stand and you must choose a side.  You are not going to have any peace of mind until you know you are not caught in between. Sometimes, there are some decisions that are inevitable.

Lately, all I have been thinking about is which road I am going to take. You might think my greatest foe at the moment would be the goodbyes I might face when college life ends but the truth is, that doesn't bother me as much as the fact that I was filled with self doubt about which career path I wanted to take, which course I was going to opt for and where I wanted to spend the next deciding moments of my life. It seemed easy to have dreams and ideas about what I wanted to do but not until I stepped forward on to the road did I realize I didn't know if I was ready to cross over to the other side. I did not have the slightest but if certainty and that's what left me stranded in the middle of a highway where I couldn't turn back and I was too terrified to cross over.

When High school, FSC or A levels ends, most people do have their lives figured out but more often than not, there are people who have no idea what they want to do. I speak from experience when I say it feels like the weight of the world is constantly pushing down on your shoulders. There are exams to give and decisions to make but this one, ultimate decision confuses you so much that you are unable to fight off all the other factors. You realize that you spent much of your life hearing that there would come a moment when you have to decide what you want to do with your life but when that moment arrives, you can be caught off guard.

I suppose what Im trying to say is that the indecisiveness is normal and its okay to crumble but you absolutely must pick yourself back and decide. You cant keep running away from your dreams and your passions. One day, you have to get up and figure out which path you want to take. One day, you have to cross the road but where you go from it is entirely up to you.

Often life is described as an assortment of chapters in this great book of ours and well, you can not start a new installment without considering all the bits and pieces of all the chapters that came before it. There are always going to be some beautiful mysteries that may not make sense but sometimes, more than anything we need surety in our lives and we need this peace of mind.

I am not one to get bad grades, I am not one to run away from my studies and I am definitely not one who sits alone consumed by this stress of where my life is taking me but ever since I realized I have to make this decision, I have to figure out what I want with my life, I found myself to be less of me. I found that I wasn't being kind to myself and I wasn't being my own friend. When you're filled with so much doubt and so much stress, it does tear you apart. Exams for a lot of students are around the corner and sometimes the best way to concentrate on your studies is to tie up all the loose ends. Now that I have finally figured out what Im doing with my life, I feel motivated enough to keep moving.

Comments

Popular Posts